Suggest treatment for tinnitus and partial hearing loss

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Tue, 28 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My husband has had 3 vertigo incidents over the past year. This last one lasted 3 hours, with extreme N&V followed by massive headache and a recovery of over 12 hours. He also suffers from Tinnitus to the extreme of what I feel is hearing loss and he says is so "tinny" he feels like he lives in an old coffee can. Our GP said it's just Tinnitus and Vertigo is a symptom. No tests conducted. Any suggestions? Last time this happened he was driving when the Vertigo attacked him.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello xxxxxxx,

While tinnitus is fairly common on it's own, and Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo, is not uncommon either, given these two together and the severe headache, I recommend further evaluation. There are a number of possibilities for what might be going on, including the possibility of Meniere's disease (especially as you mention possible hearing loss during these situations). There are other problems of the vestibular system of the inner ear that are possible too. Otosclerosis is another possibility. And less common, there is the possibility of there being a tumor, although usually then a headache continues, but not always.

I recommend that he see an otologist - a doctor who specializes in disorders of the ear. If you live near a university hospital/clinics, that might be his best bet. If that isn't possible to see a sub specialist, he can go to any ENT (ear-nose-throat) doctor and get started, or their evaluation may be all he will need.

The doctor will examine his ears, do ear-related neurological exam (such as with a tuning fork like instrument placed on top of his head or on the bony area behind his ear), possibly have his hearing tested, and most likely will order a CT or MRI of the head to get an idea of what is going on.

So - I think this constellation of symptoms needs to be evaluated.

One other thing: a number of medications, including antibiotics, can cause tinnitus. So if he is taking any medications other than the Dramamine, please let me know and I will see if I can find tinnitus in the drug literature for them.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.