Suggest treatment for tinnitus and loss of hearing

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hello.
please help i have recently been having problems sleeping with tinnitus after taking a series of antibiotics. I have been to the ENT today and had my hearing tested with no hearing loss, good news. They never really gave me much help or advise on the best treatment for it. would you be able to recomend anything to help? ive read up on taking melatonin or valerian which would help the most. ?and are there any other products i could try?

thank you
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Medication induced tinnitus; a few suggestions coupled up might just help

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. As your tinnitus has been triggered by the use of certain medications, in such cases the tinnitus usually resolves soon after the medication is discontinued.

So if you have not already discontinued the antibiotic causing it, please do so at the earliest and speak to your doctor for a substitute. As for treating the tinnitus now, we have a few options:

1. You may need to visit your ENT for wax removal, at times accumulated wax can prove to be a trigger

2. Melatonin primarily works on the sleep cycle, and can help with improving quality of sleep, but will not help treat the tinnitus in my opinion. This option can be tried, but the more accurate treatment would be to approach the tinnitus

3. Alprazolam (xanax) or amitriptyline can help towards treatment of tinnitus, but these are strictly controlled drugs, so please speak to your doctor about this

4. Certain masking devices are also quite popular and can be worn in the ear, to help suppress the tinnitus until the causative factor's effect wears out, ultimately resulting in the suppression of the tinnitus

5. Zinc supplements have found to be helpful, but studies are ongoing and results are not always as required

6. I have not heard about the benefits of valerian on tinnitus, but if I am not wrong, I think valerian might contribute towards worsening of tinnitus, but I am not sure about this

I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee