• question-icon

Suggest treatment for tingling sensation in the left arm

Posted on Thu, 20 Jul 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hello Doctor,
for the last couple of months, I am noticing numbness/tingling in my left arm. I am having this issues when am bending.
I was asked to go for MRI after consulting an Ortho in Germany. As Per MRI, there is herniation in C5/C6.
The doctor prescribed me for physical therapy and also advised me not to go for swimming and biking on race bicycles (biking on normal bicycles is allowed) for at least 3 weeks.

Apart from occasional numbness /tingling, I am not experiencing any pain. now my questions are will I be allowed swim in the future?
will I be allowed to bike on race bikes.?
I have been training for a triathlon and obviously, this is a big disappointment for me.
I couldn't ask these questions to my doctor as I live in Germany and even doctors are not comfortable in English.
thanks in advance
XXXX.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload reports

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Your activity level depends on your symptoms severity.

In herniation of disc, strengthening of back muscles is helpful. Therefore my advice is to slowly start physical activity. You will need to stop the activity whenever there are symptoms.

Your symptoms seem mild. From your symptoms your herniation also seems to be mild. The best part is that you have NO pain.
General recommendation is to be active as much as the pain allows. Since you have no pain, you can be physically active. But take your precautions. If the numbness gets worse, rest will be needed.

Also most mild cases resolve. You can be moderately active until tingling/ numbness is there. Let it resolve and then we can decide further.

Hope it helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Vaishalee
Dr. Vaishalee Punj