Suggest treatment for tingling of hands caused by vitamin B12 deficiency

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 7 Apr 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have L4L5 discs that are deteriorating, I'm bone on bone left knee. I've had cervical neck pain. Mild radigraphical changes in cervical. A couple of weeks ago I had to remove a gazebo that blew up on my roof and it took a lot of effort to pull it down and I'm sure that I went to a bit of rage as I was pulling it down and two days later I noticed that I had pins and needles in my hands and feet and on my shoulders and thighs and the back of my legs. I got paranoid and decided to test my blood sugar which both times came back in the 70s I was wondering if herniated or injured desks can cause pins and needles and itching. I do go to a chiropractor and some of The symptoms have relieved a bit after getting adjusted but it will come back depending on if I'm driving in my car or laying a certain way. Chiropractor told me my neck was out and my t2 was an issue
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be vitamin B 12 deficiency

Detailed Answer:
There are three possibilities which point towards the symptoms of tingling of hands and feet.

1) The first possibility is of vitamin B 12 deficiency which is more pronounced if you are a vegetarian. You need to get the levels of vitamin B 12 done to rule out this possibility.

2) The second possibility at your age is of diabetes as raised blood sugar levels can cause peripheral neuropathy which causes tingling in the extremities.
To rule it out you need to get your fasting blood sugar levels and a HBA1c done.

3) The third possibility is of a spinal cause . Any spinal cause in the lower spine may be associated with tingling in the soles of feet and legs. So to rule out this possibility you need a MRI whole spine done after consulting a neurologist.

We need to confirm the diagnosis by getting your blood sugar levels, EKG heart, vitamin B 12 levels and a neurological examination from a neurologist done. You should eat a healthy diet consisting more of meat and non veg products which are sources of vitamin B 12. If you are a vegetarian then you can take vitamin B 12 supplements after consulting your physician.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 minutes later
Im not a vegetarian. I take b12 daily. My fasting bs is 70. The pins and needles in my hands and feet started 2 days after i removed a heavy gazebo off the side of my house. I may have overexerted myself and reaggravated my cervical area and a thoracic disc. I saw that there is a relationship between cervical issues and the hands and feet and also seen case studies of pinched nerves causing pins needles and itch. Just trying to confirm this. I have no fever, no swollen lymph nodes. I have a history of hsv1
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be cervical issue.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
if diabetes and low Vitamin B12 are ruled out then it is due to a spinal cause only. Taking medicines like Pregabalin will help after consulting a neurologist.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.