• question-icon

Suggest treatment for tinea infection on arms and stomach

Posted on Fri, 27 Jun 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: hi I am 30 yr old male hairy and I sweat alot. I had tinea curitis on my arm and belly. I took one FCN every week for 2 weeks with candid b cream application. the arm rash is gone but the one on belly is just the same. infact now there are lot of red spots in vicnity also. what is this pls help
2) I dust my groin and pubic area with clotrimed powder. however the groin itches alot there is sharp itching on testicles and groin both despite using cream and powder. kindly advise. on itching sometines the skin breaks and it looks like mosquito bites I can feel it bumpy also on touch .
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please provide close up pictures

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same.
Now from the description, it looks like you have developed tinea infection over the affected areas.
But I would first like to have a look at all the affected areas to confirm the diagnosis since you are already taking antfungals and still there is not much relief.
I would advise you to click some close up pictures of the skin rash at various body areas and upload them here on this page. You can also email the pictures to YYYY@YYYY with subject line as “attention to Dr. Geetika Paul”.
Also please tell if you are applying anything else other than the medicines that you have told. Are you applying any other cream or oil?

I am sure I will be able to help you more once I have a look at the exact skin condition.

Waiting for your response

Dr Geetika Paul

Follow up: Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Hi i have attached the pics of groin area. pls note i had used seratoconozole for my arm and abdomen for atleast a week however i got better response with candid B. but now my abdomen the rash is now surrounded by some pimple like red spots which were not there earlier. could the abdomen be tinea versicolor i have had this for motre than 8-10 yrs now. the arm thing is cured now after applying candid b.
Pls advise treatment for both groin and abdomen. pls note I donot suffer from diabetes
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Avoid application of steroid cream

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

I have seen the attached pictures .
You surely have a fungal infection which is tinea.
I would advise you to stop application of candid b cream since it contains an antifungal in combination with a steroid cream . This combination can prolong healing in most cases.
You need to apply an antifungal agent like terbinafine cream over the affected areas twice a day . Do not apply any other cream or oil over it . In addition, you might need treatment with oral antifungals like terbinafine tablet in the recommended doses for you age group.
I am sure this will help in complete treatment of your problem .

Dr Geetika Paul
Thanks for your revert.

can you pls advise the dosage and duration of the medicine i am 30 yrs old.
What are some of side effects of this medicine? I would prefer to take medcine only if it is absolutely safe.

thanks.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 32 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take complete medicine course

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

I would advise you to take complete course of tablet terbinafine since you have multiple sites affected by tinea infection .
You should take tablet terbinafine 250 mg once a day for four weeks.
In addition, you need to apply terbinafine cream over the affected areas twice a day .
Avoid application of any other cream or oil over the affected areas .
Wear cotton clothes so as to decrease sweating .
You can the candid dusting powder in the folds atleast twice a day . This will help in preventing recurrent infections .

Hope it helps

Dr Geetika Paul
Dr. Geetika Paul

Dermatologist