Suggest treatment for tick-borne diseases

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Sat, 24 Sep 2016 in Infections
Question: What is the best test to take for tick borne diseases ? YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There are several tick borne diseases.....Which do you want to test for?

Detailed Answer:
HI and thanks so much for this query.

TO be of most help and recommend only the tests you are interested in, can you please tell us which of the tick borne diseases is of concern to you. This is because there are several different tests that can be recommended depending on which disease is of concern to you.

Let me hear back from you so as to provide a personalized and helpful response in relation to your concern(s).
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 22 hours later
As I said, the tick was destroyed beyond recognition. The Lyme Disease Association,Inc., located in XXXXXXX NJ. has a card printed that says, one tick bite can give you many different diseases at the same time (co -infections). Seems nothing is easy. At present there are four ticks in the area. The deer tick, the lone star tick,the dog tick, and the blacklegged tick. People are reporting a lot of false negatives when tested. Most likely because it is impossible to test for all the diseases listed on the info card? Listed in abreviation; Babesiosis-Bartonella-Ehrlichiosis-Anaplasmosis-STARI-Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever-Tularemia-Powassan Encephalitis.
Hoping you would know of a test that would cover some at one time. Trouble is there seems to be a quietude about tick diseases in this community and others in the state of MA. If you know of one better than another I can try that Providing the doctor is agreeable.
Thank you Dr.Ditah for listening.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 3 days later
Brief Answer:
There are no tests that cover most at a go!

Detailed Answer:

I understand the need to get a single test or test procedure that investigates all the possible tick borne diseases. Unfortunately, this is not so because most of these diseases are not often located in the same area and most laboratories will not want tests that are not in high demand and use. Would you be willing to try a test at a time for the different possible tick borne diseases?

Let me know what you think.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 16 hours later
My Primary Doctor had some blood work ordered 7/20. Along with Hematology she ordered Anti Nuclear Antibodies and one for Bacterial Disease. That one reads Lyme Total AB (IGG+IGM), SER| Negative (A)
(A) No antibody to Borrelia Burgdorferi detected. False negatives may occur. Suggest repeat if clinically indicated.
She never got back to me so I am to assume the blood work is ok? Yes, I would try another test. I am sorry for the delay in answering. This is my first time conversing with a Doctor like this. I thought we were through, i'm glad you're still there for me.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 4 days later
Brief Answer:
The results show that there is no concern with this tick illness!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for sharing these results with me.

For sure, there is nothing to be worried further about as concerns these results. I will say you have been probed extensively for this tick borne illness and will like that you observe a pause about this and let us monitor and evaluate your clinical state. This is necessary to make sure we are still on the right course and not becoming unnecessarily aggressive.

Thanks and keep me informed with your clinical response to ongoing treatment options.