Suggest treatment for tibial plateau fracture

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi, my injury happened on 5/11. I fractured my lateral tibial plateau with 1mm depression Bruising and pain minimal now. I've put weight/walked on it quite a few times here and there slowly as I felt like I'm healing fast and I needed to do things crushes wouldn't allow, ie., carry things, getting dressed, cooking, get from car to restaurant without crutches. I'm worried that I've made it worse. Is this possible? There's some localized pain/heat sensation in that area now. I've vowed to not bear weight again as I'm afraid. I'm on supplements and RICE. No immobilizer. I'm 37yo F in good health and exercise regularly.
Thank you. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Repeat X ray should be done.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM.

I have gone through your query. For lateral tibial plateu fractures immobilization is necessary for 4 to 6 weeks. Weight bearing before that can make the condition worse. There is risk of non union or malunion in such case.

It is better to go for a control X ray to find whether in good alignment. An Orthopedic consultation is well appreciated also.

Hope this may help you. Let me know if anything not clear.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Nishad BN