Suggest treatment for thyroid during pregnancy

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: My wife was suffering from thyroid and she is pregnant of 3 months. She took medicine form 45 days and reports are attached that are taken today. Previously she was having around 12 as TSH. Now it is in the limit i.e. 2.5. Do you suggest again us to meet Endochrinologist?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Keep taking medicine as advised

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir, thanks for trusting health care magic.
She has been put on right dose and thus the report is perfectly normal and needs no modification so no need to visit the endocrinologist and ask her to keep taking the medicine daily empty stomach.
She should get a repeat thyroid hormone profile after 2 months to see if everything is alright.
Now only regular antenatal check ups with her gynecologist will suffice.
Dr Manisha
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 4 hours later
She used to take 45 minutes before the breakfast. Now she has to take the medicine before breakfast will be ok? i.e. She doesn't need to wait after taking medicine? Eltroxine was suggested by endocrinologist.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Keep taking it same way

Detailed Answer:
No dear, she was doing it right by taking it 45 minutes before breakfast.
It always good to avoid eating anything at least for 30 mins after taking eltroxin.
She should keep taking it in same manner till delivery.
Also get her TPO antibody levels which will help in knowing the immune mediated problem in her hypothyroid status and the probability of staying hypothyroid even after delivery.
All the best.
Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN