Suggest treatment for thyroid cyst rupture

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: my thyroid cyst is rupture what should we do doctor says body will absorb that fluid is it ok
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your doctor is right in telling that fluid from ruptured cyst is absorbed

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. A thyroid colloid cyst usually does not rupture. However if it does, then the fluid is absorbed by the body. Many doctors might remove a large thyroid cyst surgically if required.

2. There is no serious concern from a ruptured thyroid colloid cyst. Your doctor is right and nothing requires to be done.

3. It will help to know your condition more accurately if you might upload copy of the report with your query.

Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 14 minutes later

Thank you sir,
can I upload my reports
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please upload your reports for discussion

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing back with an update.

1. Please upload a copy of your report in pdf format and send in a follow up query. Please attach all reports if ultrasound scan thyroid has been done more than once for you. If you have any difficulty in uploading reports then please contact customer care.

Dr.Vivek
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 21 hours later
sorry My report i cant upload due to some technical problem. But I want to ask another question regarding same matter.

If that fluid how much time to take reabsorb in the body. or Can I do needle aspiration to remove that fluid . because it looks bigger on left side.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Alcohol injection in to the thyroid cyst might help

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing back with an update.

1. The cyst if ruptured, the fluid from it gets absorbed in a few days.

2. Regarding the aspiration of thyroid cysts, there is research which shows that "Percutaneous ethanol injection without aspiration of ethanol-mixed fluid seems to be the preferable method of treatment of benign cystic thyroid nodules from the perspective of both the physician and the patient."

The above means to say that injecting alcohol in the cyst is a good way to reduce and treat benign cysts of thyroid.

3. You might like to discuss the above treatment with your doctor please.

Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek