Suggest treatment for thyroglossal cyst on the tongue

Dr. Satvinder Bakshi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 28 Nov 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My son is 5 years old. He has a midline lump which rises with tongue protrusion.
I am sure it is a thyroglossal cyst.
He is seeing a surgeon in Dec for the first time. He is asymptomatic

How urgent should he be seen ?
What is the likely course of treatment?
I know there is a small chance that these turn nasty...how soon should it be excised?

I am a GP
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is no urgency

Detailed Answer:
Hello

you are correct in assuming it as a thyroglossal cyst but however a fine needle aspiration is required to prove the diagnosis.

More importantly we must get an ultrasound of the neck done in order to prove the presence of normal thyroid gland. This is important because the cyst should not be the only functioning thyroid tissue.

There is no urgency as most of the swellings are very slow growing. The only cause if concern is the risk of infection.

If there is pain or sudden increase in the size of the swelling then you must meet your doctor immediately.

Otherwise you can wait and watch! Please don't worry

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 3 hours later
Thanks for the answer.
If it is a thyroglossal cyst
What is the likely outcome?

Imran
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It should be excised

Detailed Answer:
Hello

If it is a thyroglossal cyst and the rest of thyroid gland is normal , then the best thing would be to go for surgical excision.

The cyst will continue to grow in size and can get infected and therefore it has to be removed.

The surgery will be carried out under general anesthesia and is safe and has very little complications. The chance or recurrence is also less than 1% if the surgery is performed correctly.

Nowadays for very small cyst surgery can be avoided and intra cystic injection of sclerosing agents have been tried with good success, bit this needs to be discussed with your doctor

It is not an emergency, please dont worry

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. REMY KOSHY