• question-icon

    Suggest treatment for thumb arthritis

Posted on Tue, 25 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: The lower part of my thumb on my left hand is con caving or moving toward my palm. I can't move it back with my other hand. It is looking deformed. The only time there is pain is after I play the piano for about 45 minutes. I apply ice and heat after I play and that helps. I am a woman, 77 years old and have a little arthritis and degeneration in my lower back that hurts most of the time. I am not on any medication. I use to be on IBProfen but I read there is a 30% chance of getting a heart attack so I cut it out two weeks ago. I want to know if my thumb is arthritis and what can I do about it. XXXXXXX YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be thumb arthritis or trigger thumb.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX I am Dr Gopal Goel , Orthopedic Surgeon.
I have gone through your description and to me there are two possibilities.
1. Arthritis of joint at the base of thumb- will be clear after x rays and treatment includes Local Steroid injection.
2. Trigger Thumb- In this there is a small nodule in front of base of thumb and it does not allow full straightening of thumb. Treatment again is mainly local steroid injection and surgery if no relief with injection.

Thanks for the question. Please feel free to ask any other question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Answered by
Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Practicing since :1983

Answered : 1478 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Thumb arthritis

doctor1 MD

Both of my thumbs ache. At first I could relieve the pain by massaging my forearms. Therapist thought it was tendons that were tight. I work out a...

doctor1 MD

I can hardly move my thumb, I did not anything to it. It has been hurting a little bit for a while but now I can't do anything drink, brush my...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

153 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Gopal Goel
  • Q - Suggest treatment for electric pulsation sensation near the shoulder blade

  • Q - What causes swelling and bruising in the knee after a fall?

  • Q - What does the following knee MRI report indicate?

  • Q - Is intramedullary nailing an effective treatment for displaced tibial...

  • Q - Suggest treatment for severe pain in the thighs

  • Q - Suggest treatment for swelling and numbness in the finger after injury

  • Q - What causes severe leg weakness and increased BP while on Amlodipine?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for swelling and bruising on top of the foot

  • Q - Suggest treatment for severe pain and muscle weakness

  • Q - What do these following MRI findings indicate?