Suggest treatment for throbbing sensation in the ears and cough

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 6 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello,

I have an cough which produces a lot of phlem, my ear is throbbing and I am really stuffed up.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
fluids, rest, mucolytic, antibiotic, decongestant

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

I am sorry that you are feeling unwell

The most common cause for the symptoms that you are experiencing would be a viral upper respiratory tract infection (cold or flu) though , in some cases, a bacterial infection can occur as well needing antibiotics

With a history of throbbing discomfort in one ear , you may have an ear infection that needs either topical or oral antibiotics

If both ears felt uncomfortable that it may be just the effect of the sinuses being blocked due to viral infection, but symptoms restricted to one ear, usually implies infection of the particular ear.

Treatment: (1) fluids and rest. The fluids would help to decrease the thickness of the secretions so that they can be expelled easier

(2)a mucolytic- this is medication that breaks up mucus eg bisolvan , guaifensin, mucumyst. These are over the counter medications

(3)paracetamol or ibuprofen to help with the pain

(4)anti histamine/decongestant combination to help with the stuffed up feeling eg claritine d, allegra d, benadryl d, zyrtec d
A topical decongestant can also be used for a few days eg otrivine or normal saline nose drops

(5)antibiotics for the ear

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 13 minutes later

The ear pain is just in the left ear.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
involved of one ear usually implies infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Sorry about the delayed reply

When only one ear is involved, it usually implies that there is an infection in the ear, this is the reason that I mentioned that you may need a course of antibiotics. This may be either topical antibiotics to the ear or oral antibiotics if signs of infection are seen when you are examined by your doctor.

If this is not an option at this time then you can try the pain medication , anti histamine/decongestant combination and mucolytic, as mentioned above.

Cough and cold symptoms along with discomfort in both ears, implies that the pain maybe due to congestion of the sinuses or problems with a part of the ears called the eustachian tube.
It is very unusual to have infection involving both ears.

Please feel free to ask anything else