• question-icon

Suggest treatment for throbbing pain in the arms

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: i was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 25 yrs ago,i have Degenerative Disc disease in Cervical,thoracic, And all lumbar discs with Sciatica.Recently My triceps just throb with lifting and at rest! its more intense recently.I have had a cervical fusion c5&6 in 1982.so i have had numbness since surgery but this is far worse,I sometimes cant even touch the areas.I wondered about the central pain disease,or bursitus.I also get flashes of heat and then chills,no fever.thanks XXXXXXX

also i take Hctz 12.5mg/Lisinopril am,Zofran 8mg prn nausea.I have been to Neurologists.Psychiatrists,Orthpaedics.I just had MRI it shows progression of Osteoarthritus. I have Tarlov cysts inbetween most of spine? i have run slightly high sed rates, i have developed a red rash on my cheeks.I have a lot of Autoimmune diseases in my family
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tramadol will be the best option

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

It seems to be a multiple system involvement at present.You may be running low on immunity due to multiple issues and past surgeries.

It is always better to avoid taking analgesics for long term period.But still,if the pain is unbearable,tramadol happens to be the safest and equally potent medicine that can be taken for extended period of time as it has a good safety profile.

Etodolac also is a similar drug that can be used effectively.

Degenerative discs should be taken care of by using supportive belts/corsets around the affected regions of the spine along with intermittent physiotherapy sessions of traction,short wave diathermy,infra red therapy etc.

Red rash on the cheeks can be treated by taking anti-histaminic medicines like levocetrizine.

Progression of the osteoarthritis can be controlled to some extent by taking calcium,vitamin D3,glucosamine,chondroitin sulfate and MSM tablets.

Exercises with yoga and meditation have beneficial effects

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon