• question-icon

Suggest treatment for throbbing headache

Posted on Fri, 11 Aug 2017 in Headache and Migraines
Question: My daughter has a throbbing headache - mostly in her eyes she is freezing one minute, burning up the next, feels nauseous. It hurts to move. She is generally the epitome of good health and a yoga instructor so having moving hurt is inconsistent with her norm.
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible viral type of infection with migraine headache associated

Detailed Answer:
Good afternoon. The characteristics of THROBBING headache localized mainly to the eyes with nausea as part of the complex is commonly seen in MIGRAINE types of headaches. The hot and cold sensations are typically seen during infectious processes. However, without a bit more information (especially on her headache history) it will be hard to pinpoint anything with this amount of information.

If there is no fever, no sore throat (i.e. strep or monospot) then, this could be just a very aggressive VIRAL INFECTION which can cause generalized body and joint pains as well as cause bad headaches.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a specialist make sure she does not a stiff neck or elevated white cell count by getting some bloodwork done and having a set of vitals taken. She should step up both nydration and nutrition significantly since if viral it's simply going to run its course and then, get flushed out so drinking plenty of fluids will facilitate the kidneys to clear the agent out.

If she does have complaints of an unusually STIFF neck or one that is so painful that she cannot comfortably lie on her back with legs outstretched, etc. then, you should take her to an ER where they may check her for additional nervous system types of infectious processes.

If I've provided useful and helpful information to your questions could you do me a huge favor by CLOSING THE QUERY and be sure to include some fine words of feedback along with a 5 STAR rating? Again, many thanks for submitting your inquiry and please let me know how things turn out.

Do not forget to contact me in the future at: www.bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi for additional questions, comments, or concerns having to do with this topic or others.

This query has utilized a total of 15 minutes of professional time in research, review, and synthesis for the purpose of formulating a return statement.

Follow up: Dr. Dariush Saghafi 10 minutes later
Thank you. She is a yoga teacher in excellent health with no recent Hx of headaches. This came on suddenly and is overwhelming. She says she's hot one minute and cold the next. She does not have a thermometer to take her temp. I'm most concerned to rule out meningitis. She just reported she has a very stiff neck - can't touch her chin to her chest.
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would advise her to be seen now at either an Urgent Care or ER

Detailed Answer:
Usually, in meningitis there are other more telltale signs of infections, there's usually a fever as opposed to hot/cold flashes, as well as significant photophobia or sensitivity to lights that make the headache worse. Vomiting is also commonly present.

However, if she typically doesn't have this type of headache and could be in an environment as a yoga teacher where transmission of an infection from within the studio by either water bottle, wet towels, etc. is a possibility then, I see absolutely no reason NOT to go either an URGENT CARE center or ER right away. They will do the necessary tests to rule in or out meningitis which should tell you what else is going on if it's not that problem.

Therefore, if this were my daughter I would advise her to go and be seen now instead of waiting to see how things turn out overnight.

If I've provided useful and helpful information to your questions could you do me the favor of CLOSING THE QUERY and include some fine words of feedback along with a 5 STAR rating? Again, many thanks for submitting your inquiry and please let me know how things turn out.

This query has utilized a total of 25 minutes of professional time in research, review, and synthesis for the purpose of formulating a return statement.

Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist