Suggest treatment for throat pain and stretched nerves in throat

Dr. Paparaja S

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 17 Jul 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am having a weired problem going on in my mouth:

1. I feel pain in my throat and feeling streched nerves in my throat.
2. Something is happening in my throat which is making me swallow like reflex for no reason even though i have nothing in my mouth. My mouth gets dry because of this.
3. While this swallow reflex i am having pressure on my hard and soft palates like soft palate do not want this swallow reflex to happen and soft and hard palate feel preasure and feels like it blocks airflow and troat get tighten on that moment then i have to open my mouth and suck on saliva ir drink some sips of water to breathe normally or else if feel like i am getting choked.
4. When i suck on candy like halls and strepsils i kinda feel bit of relief not completely but candy helps me lower down this uncontrollable reflex of swallow.
5. I am gwtting some sour fluid reflex as well from my stomach into my mouth sometime like once or twice a day.

I am totally restless in this condition. I cannot lay down to sleep. If i do all the rhings that i told above gets on extreme level and then i have to jump out of bed or sit down to breathe as palates do not let me breathe when that reflex keeps on happening then i feel soft palate and throat getting pressure and get blocked then i cannot breathe then i have to ait straight and open mouth and suck on saliva or drink some water to remove that choking feeling.

Please help.
Answered by Dr. Paparaja S 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be LPRD.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to healthcare magic.
I had gone through your question.
I can understand your concern.

Without physical examination, I wouldn't be able to recognize the cause behind the symptoms, however based on your description it may be related to LPRD. That is reflux of gastric contents into pharynx and larynx.

I recommend the following suggestions
1) Avoid smoking and alcohol.
2) Avoid spicy and junk food.
3) Avoid coffee and tea.
4) Keep regular diet habits.
5) Take your dinner at least 2 hours before bed time.
6) Proton pump inhibitors like tablet rabeprazole.
7) Drink adequate water after each meals.

I would monitor the condition for couple of months while you follow aforementioned suggestions. The next plan of action can be decided according to how you respond.
You will be fine.
Hope I have answered your question. If you have any questions, I am happy to help.
Wish you a good health and speedy recovery.
Dr Paparaja S MBBS MS
Consultant ENT Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Paparaja S 12 minutes later
Is there something serious that i need to consider as i am totally restless.
Answered by Dr. Paparaja S 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
LPRD is not serious.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up.
Nothing to worry.
Follow my previous instructions.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Kindly rate my answer.
Follow up: Dr. Paparaja S 5 minutes later
Okay i will. Actually that is relief after all your advice.
Answered by Dr. Paparaja S 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Happy to help.

Detailed Answer:
Good luck.

HCM is happyto help.