question-icon

Suggest treatment for throat pain and difficulty in swallowing

Posted on Mon, 23 Jan 2017
Question: im throat hurts when i swallow and it hurts so bad
that I spit in a cup instead of swallowing it. i have a low fever of 100.5.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Tonsillitis most likely

Detailed Answer:

Dear XXXX, severe pain on swallowing is most probably due to infection and pus accumulation on the tonsils .

The tonsillitis is the reason why your body temperature rises.

You need antipyretic tablets (eg. Tab Paracetamol 650mg ) taken every 8 hours after some food to relieve the fever, an antipyretic will also help relive the pain

You also need an antibiotic to treat the tonsillitis and pus accumulation (please check with your local physician to get the necessary examination and prescription for the same).

Throat lozenges and warm fluids as soup or herbal tea will help ease the swallowing.
Additionally do XXXXXXX warm saline water gargling thrice daily for the time being.

I hope I answered your question and I'll be happy to answer further questions

Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman