Suggest treatment for throat pain and cold

Dr. Rajkishori Godhi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hi doc,
I have a lil pain in my thraot and have a lil cold since yesterday . feels like the throat pain is more today.
I might have catched cold from someone in ofc. can you please advice a medicine.
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
only symptomatic treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hello madam and welcome to healthcaremagic,

Looks like you have upper respiratory tract infection. They are usually viral in nature, so only symptomatic treatment will suffice.

For the sore throat you can take a pain killer like tylenol or ibuprofen after checking the dose.

For running nose you will require an antihistamine like cetirizine.

Follow some general measures as follows -
1) Warm salt water gargling 4 times daily.
2) Avoid eating or drinking cold foods.
3) Avoid air conditioning.
4) Drink plenty of warm fluids.
5) Get plenty of rest.
6) Steam inhalation 3 times a day.

If you do not feel better in a couple of days then see a doctor because you may need a course of antibiotics.

Dr Rajkishori Godhi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju