Suggest treatment for throat infection with fever and back pain

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi Doctor,
I have got throat infection for past 2-3 days. It started with back pain 2 days back and I had fever with around 99. I was taking some home remedies like ginger with honey , which had some respite. I checked my fever it is 100 now. When I cough, I feel pain.
I took paracetamol in morning today and one .in yesteday night

Please advise.
Posted Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you may be having a viral fever

Detailed Answer:
hello

Please dont worry as from your symptoms it looks like a viral infection.

Viral infections can cause throat pain , tiredness , headache and back pain and generally need no treatment and resolve by 5-7 days.

However since you are a diabetic and hence more prone to infections, i would like you to meet your doctor as you may need to start on a course of antibiotic, which will prevent a super added bacterial infection from occurring and help in early recovery.

For the time being i would like you to continue paracetamol 5oo mg 2-3 times a day and gargle with warm salt water 3-4 times a day.

You can also start syrup benadryl 2 teaspoon twice a day for the cough , this will also help you sleep.

please avoid oily and spicy food and drink lots of water and take rest, you will be fine soon!

Thanks

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for throat infection with fever and back pain 26 minutes later
Hi doctor,
Could you please suggest general antibiotic.. My diabetic doctor is out of country and won't be reacheable...

Thanks!

Doctor,
I have some tabs for sinnarest at home. Can I take them as antibiotic.
Please suggest.
Thanks!

Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
yes can take sinarest

Detailed Answer:
Hello

sinarest is not an antibiotic, but however it will reduce your fever and give you relief , so you can take it.

I am afraid i cannot prescribe an antibiotic in this forum as it is against the rule,however i can tell you that the common antibiotics used for upper respiratory tract infections are azithromycin , levofloxacin or roxithromycin, please meet your doctor for the presription.

Thanks