Suggest treatment for throat infection with fever and back pain

Dr. Satvinder Bakshi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi Doctor,
I have got throat infection for past 2-3 days. It started with back pain 2 days back and I had fever with around 99. I was taking some home remedies like ginger with honey , which had some respite. I checked my fever it is 100 now. When I cough, I feel pain.
I took paracetamol in morning today and one .in yesteday night

Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you may be having a viral fever

Detailed Answer:
hello

Please dont worry as from your symptoms it looks like a viral infection.

Viral infections can cause throat pain , tiredness , headache and back pain and generally need no treatment and resolve by 5-7 days.

However since you are a diabetic and hence more prone to infections, i would like you to meet your doctor as you may need to start on a course of antibiotic, which will prevent a super added bacterial infection from occurring and help in early recovery.

For the time being i would like you to continue paracetamol 5oo mg 2-3 times a day and gargle with warm salt water 3-4 times a day.

You can also start syrup benadryl 2 teaspoon twice a day for the cough , this will also help you sleep.

please avoid oily and spicy food and drink lots of water and take rest, you will be fine soon!

Thanks

Follow up: Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 26 minutes later
Hi doctor,
Could you please suggest general antibiotic.. My diabetic doctor is out of country and won't be reacheable...

Thanks!

Doctor,
I have some tabs for sinnarest at home. Can I take them as antibiotic.
Please suggest.
Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
yes can take sinarest

Detailed Answer:
Hello

sinarest is not an antibiotic, but however it will reduce your fever and give you relief , so you can take it.

I am afraid i cannot prescribe an antibiotic in this forum as it is against the rule,however i can tell you that the common antibiotics used for upper respiratory tract infections are azithromycin , levofloxacin or roxithromycin, please meet your doctor for the presription.

Thanks