Suggest treatment for throat infection post a dental procedure

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Dental Health
Question: I had a dental cleaning on Friday March 10th. My teeth have been extremely sensitive to flossing ever since. On Monday march 13th I started to have painful swollen glands at my jawline. They were really bad yesterday but we've had a snowstorm and my dentist has been closed so I haven't been able to ask. Is this something I should be concerned about? Why would this happen?
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like Infection..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for the query..

Well, swollen glands does not seems to be due to teeth cleaning, rather can be due to oral or throat infection..

As far as sensitivity of teeth is concerned it is commonly seen post vigorous scaling of teeth but it gets gradually resolved..

In case if there is excessive sensitivity you can start applying desensitizing toothpaste over the teeth, leave it for a minute and brush you teeth off with it..
Do it twice a day..
Avoid taking very hot or very cold foods to prevent discomfort..

For swollen glands take a short course of antibiotics and anti-inflammatory painkillers like Ibuprofen after consulting a local Physician..

Please write back for more queries..

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj