Suggest treatment for throat infection in a child

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Fri, 23 Sep 2016 in Child Health
Question: My daughter of around 8 months old is suffering from throat infection.She is undergoing medications mentioned in report below.she is not eating anything after this condition please suggest us any precautions to be taken and any other medicines which could relieve her.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
LOOKS LIKE VIRAL ILLNESS

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.

Fever of few days without any localizing signs could as well a viral illness. Usually rather than fever, what is more important is the activity of the child, in between 2 fever episodes on the same day. If the kid is active and playing around when there is no fever, it is probably viral illness and it doesn't require antibiotics (LIKE PECEF) at all.

Once viral fever comes it will there for 4-7 days. During this period, the kid's oral intake will be less.

So do not worry about duration if the kid is active.

You mentioned that your kid has throat infection.

I feel that your kid might be having a viral sore throat or a streptococcal infection. I suggest you see your pediatrician and get a rapid streptococcal antigen test done. If it is positive then she will require antibiotics. if it is negative then it might be viral illness and doesn't require antibiotics at all.

Cough and cold are viral 95% of the times in children. For cold you can use anti-allergics like cetirizine and for nose block, saline nasal decongestants will do. Paracetamol can be given in the dose of 15mg/kg/dose (max ceiling dose 500mg) every 4-6th hourly, that too only if fever is more than 100F. I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 10 minutes later
Thanks a lot for your reply.i was worried because her wbc count has increased to 25000 and heamoglobin has reduced.what are these indications and what this suggest?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Count of 25000 is high, but hemoglobin of 9.2 is not worrisome

Detailed Answer:
Hi...the total count of 25000 is high.

The possibilities include - viral illness or urinary tract infection or pneumonia.

I suggest you get a urine routine analysis and chest X-ray done and get back to me.

I agree that a hemoglobin of 9.2 is low but not very worrisome. After the kid starts eating appropriately, I suggest you start iron supplements. This is a prescription medication and you will need one for it.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth