Suggest treatment for throat cancer

Posted on Thu, 27 Apr 2017 in Cancer
Question: I have been diagnosed with cancer on mybvoice box. Suggested treatment is radio therapy. However, my throat passage is narrower than normal and surgeon had difficulty in removing lump off my vocal chord to send for biopsy, which confirmed cancer cells present. Radio therapy was recommended, but for as long as I can remember, (I'm 75 now), I've not been able to lie flat on my back whilst awake because of a choking feeling. Radiotherapy requires a mask to be fitted, which has been done with great difficulty, but I can't lie flat in it for long enough to be secured to flat platform and radio therapy to be done. Can I not be put to sleep whilst radiotheraoy is done?
Answered by Dr. Esmeralda Sera 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking

As you understand radiotherapy is necessary in your situation.
At the time of therapy, doctors are able to make sedative for you to be more quiet during the procedur,not to sleep , just to be relaxed

Just inform your doctor about your situation and the fact that you dont want to be sleep during the treatment
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Esmeralda Sera 42 minutes later
Didn't make myself clear. I have already taken a sedative to make me rrlax, but it didn't work. I askrd to be put asleep, but they said no, they have no facilities to do this at Christies hospital

Don't think you understand. MY GP knows that Sedativs do not work for me. I want to know if there is any way I can be put to sleep for the oricedure.
Brief Answer:
Sedativs

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

I understand your concern

They are some kind of sedatives. We used tham intravenously before the start of the procedure.
We use (stedon)
Your doctor can consult a anesthiologist for more opinion
Follow up: Dr. Esmeralda Sera 41 minutes later
Tried sedatives recommended, did not work. Is it possible to have radiotherapy under general anaesthetic as a last resort?
Answered by Dr. Esmeralda Sera 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Anaesthetic consultation will be needed

Detailed Answer:
Hello
General anesthesia may have a lot of side effects so its not good idea, and it's not recommended for radiotherapy. But please one anesthiologist can give you one other option.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Esmeralda Sera

Oncologist