Suggest treatment for thread worm infection

Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I seem to have threadworm for the past two years it was very hard to get a physician to determin this but over this waiting period I have major fatigue constipation bacterial abcesses my teeth fell out and as of now I have them so bad that I am coughing them up I notice after sitting at comp. when I get up there is always a few on the floor or on my desk there so bad there falling off me, a few weeks ago I went to the clinic and the Dr gave me a perscription for ONE vermox it did nothing except seem to bring them out like crazy ,now there comming out of my skin is that because I am so constipated I also have Hep c please any advice would be great
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
helemethic infection, mebendazole,albendazole.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query, I have gone through your query.
The problem what you are presenting is because of the helemethic infection.
The thread worms are coming out because of the eggs which are hatched in the oral cavity. Usually the helementhic infection occurs around the anus and vagina, contamination or carrying infection from this area to oral cavity can cause the worms in the oral cavity.
Usually the worms will hatch during night time. These eggs can also hatch in gastrointestinal tract, skin, that could be the possible reason for the thread worms to be seen in the oral cavity and skin as soon as you get up in the morning time. Adhesive tape test can be done to confirm the diagnosis.

Mebendazole is the drug of choice in adults. It is given as a single oral dose, and is best repeated after 2 to 3 weeks in case re-infection has occurred.
Other possible drugs include albendazole and pyrantel pamoate.
Consult a general physician or gastroenterologist for the opinion and needful since the infection has reoccurred (since you have taken a single dose, you might have to take one more course) and after consulting you can change the drugs from mebendazole to other drugs if you are not responding to this.
Maintain the hygiene in the external genital area and the finger nails.

The loose teeth and exfoliation of teeth is because of the gum infection secondary to deposits. For this you need to consult a oral physician and get a radiograph done and later get the teeth cleaned. Maintain the hygiene of the tooth brush.

You have not mentioned about diabetes and other medical conditions. If you are diabetic the chances of infection is more. Please mention about the medical history other than hepatitis C.

I hope my answer will help you, take care.
If any queries are there reply me back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari