question-icon

Suggest treatment for third degree sprain in the shoulder and wrist

Posted on Fri, 15 May 2015
Question: a third degree sprain in the wrist and in the upper shoulder is a really big problem I can hardly move the shoulder I can hardly move the wrist I fell on the left side of the body during a seizure banged it on cement and the paramedics try to pick me up by the shoulder, on the rest I don't know what happened I think I may have tried to pick myself up, but I am NOT positive, again I think the paramedics tried to pick me up by the shoulders, and maybe it is displaced or sprained the doctor thinks it is sprained from the ER therefore he is referring me to an orthopedic which thinks I need surgery what do you think your opinion is this? For the shoulder
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal (54 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Surgery may be needed to repair torn ligaments.

Detailed Answer:
The third degree sprain in the shoulder and wrist must have involved the torn ligaments. This can be confirmed by an MRI scan. If the pain is continuous and you cannot lift your arm then a surgical repair may be needed to fix the torn ligaments. After an MRI scan, the extent of tear can be determined.
Surgery can be planned after that. Do consult an orthopedician for proper treatment. Avoid all painful movements of the arm till then.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon