Suggest treatment for thinning of hair and thyroid issues

Posted on Sat, 6 Jun 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I have always suffered with feeling colder than everyone else at home , at school , at work . Over the years I have had a few blood tests to check for thyroid malfunction but all results suggested it was working properly. ....Some of my maternal and also paternal relations have had goitre, hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism.....Last year I had all amalgam ( mercury levels tested very high ) removed from 10 teeth by an excellent holistic dentist as I had just been diagnosed with limited scleroderma (CREST),) and mercury is linked with thyroid issues and with development of autoimmune disorders such as schleroderma. ......My hair on my scalp is thinning over the last year or two and my hairdresser is adamant it is related to thyroid problems. .....I had a benign cyst drained in my thyroid last year and the ultrasound scan showed lots of nodules there ..... All of these issues seem to me to be related but I can't get any doctor I 've attended to actually join the dots and tell me how to sort out the root problem here ......what advice would you give me as to how I should set about getting theses issues tested and treated, please. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thyroid

Detailed Answer:
Sorry to learn about your challenges with the potential thyroid condition.

When I see someone who presents to me with similar history and background, I order the following tests:
CBC
Electrolytes
HbA1c
Liver function tests
Kidney function tests
Calcium
TSH
Free T4
anti TPO (Thyroid Peroxidase) antibodies
anti- Thyroglobulin antibodies

These tests will give a broader idea of overall health. Specifically, it will tell you if your thyroid function is fine or not. If TSH and Free T4 are in normal range it is extremely unlikely your thyroid function is off.

Regarding the nodules on ultrasound, that requires a completely different assessment such a thorough examination and risk factor evaluation. Fine needle aspiration biopsies may be necessary f the nodules show concerning features.

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist