• question-icon

Suggest treatment for the knee and ankle pain

Posted on Wed, 5 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: I have knee pain & ankle pain.
Answered by Dr. Remy Koshy 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Requires few more related details,

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query in HealthcareMagic,

I have gone through your query but before I can guide you any further, I would like to know some more details related:

- How long since you have been having these symptoms?
- is it an acute pain or is it caused by certain activity?
- do you have any symptoms like swelling, discoloration, radiation of pain from back to the hind legs, any recent history of trauma?
- Have you checked your vitamin D levels and hemoglobin levels? If so, kindly upload the reports.
- do you have any history of rheumatoid fever?

Kindly revert back with your answers,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Remy Koshy 7 minutes later
How long since you have been having these symptoms? Might be a year
- is it an acute pain or is it caused by certain activity? I feel my knees have become sensitive to touch, but if I walk it does not pain. Only during strenuous activity it also becomes numb.
- do you have any symptoms like swelling, discoloration, radiation of pain from back to the hind legs, any recent history of trauma? No nothing as such
- Have you checked your vitamin D levels and hemoglobin levels? If so, kindly upload the reports. I currently do not have reports with me to upload but I have normal vitamin D levels and haemoglobin levels
- do you have any history of rheumatoid fever? No
Answered by Dr. Remy Koshy 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained below,

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back,

I have gone through your answers,

From the description that you have provided, I would like to narrow down the possibilities:

- Tendinitis or bursitis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Presence of a loose body in the joint space
- growth of a bony spur

I would suggest it best for you to get an scan done, so as to look for the possible outcomes. Also get your RA factor done to rule out rheumatic fever. If you have a high BMI, then it is best for you to reduce weight to the desirable levels. You can also consider to wear a knee brace or an ankle brace of appropriate size, which will help to reduce your symptoms.

Since it seems to be a chronic pain, I would not personally advice the use of pain killers.

I hope this helps,

Please feel free to discuss further or else kindly close the query and share your positive feedback.

Dr. Remy Koshy