• question-icon

Suggest treatment for testicular pain and fatigue while having hypothyroidism

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: Hello, my husband, who is 40 years old and has been treated with Levothyroxin for hypothyroidism for several years, has recently been having these symptoms:
Testicular pain, lower back pain, fatigue/tiredness, loss of appetite, lower than normal pulse, colder than normal, dry skin, depression/irritability.
His doctor ran blood tests for markers for testicular cancer and he has had an ultrasound of testicles which his doctor said showed nothing abnormal.
His doctor started him on Prednisone for 7 days. Today is the 3rd day and his symptoms are getting worse if anything.
My questions are: could this be related to his hypothyroidism or some other autoimmune disease? Should we go to an oncologist for a better opinion? Or another specialist? I'm really worried about him and don't feel that we should be wasting time.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please, et his TSH measured!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about these symptoms that you have reported. This is typical and suggestive of an underrated hypothyroidism. I will suggest that wee measure his TSH to see how well his hypothyroidism is controlled. My sense is that this would be higher than expected. This would require that these medications for hypothyroidism dosages should be increased to relief these symptoms. Let me know what the numbers for TSH are when you do the control.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 15 hours later
Hello and thank you so much for your reply and information. My husband called his doctors office this morning to ask what his TSH level was when they checked it. They just took his levels about 1 week ago. TSH is 0.32
He also told his doctors office that his symptoms are no better; they are referring him to a urologist. Is this appropriate?
Is there another specialist that you would recommend?
Thank you so much again for your help...you have no idea how worried I have been!
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Have you been seen by an Endocrinologist?

Detailed Answer:

I would have loved to see him referred to an Endocrinologist if that is not your stable doctor. Though his urinary symptoms would need the input of a urologist, I will rather suggest that we start with an Endocrinologist first.

Am not really comfortable with hypothyroidism being ruled out and will like to see this further evaluated. I am even of the opinion of increasing his levothyroxine to higher levels.

I wish you well and keep me updated!
Dr. Ivo Ditah