• question-icon

    Suggest treatment for testicular pain and fatigue while having hypothyroidism

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: Hello, my husband, who is 40 years old and has been treated with Levothyroxin for hypothyroidism for several years, has recently been having these symptoms:
Testicular pain, lower back pain, fatigue/tiredness, loss of appetite, lower than normal pulse, colder than normal, dry skin, depression/irritability.
His doctor ran blood tests for markers for testicular cancer and he has had an ultrasound of testicles which his doctor said showed nothing abnormal.
His doctor started him on Prednisone for 7 days. Today is the 3rd day and his symptoms are getting worse if anything.
My questions are: could this be related to his hypothyroidism or some other autoimmune disease? Should we go to an oncologist for a better opinion? Or another specialist? I'm really worried about him and don't feel that we should be wasting time.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please, et his TSH measured!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about these symptoms that you have reported. This is typical and suggestive of an underrated hypothyroidism. I will suggest that wee measure his TSH to see how well his hypothyroidism is controlled. My sense is that this would be higher than expected. This would require that these medications for hypothyroidism dosages should be increased to relief these symptoms. Let me know what the numbers for TSH are when you do the control.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 15 hours later
Hello and thank you so much for your reply and information. My husband called his doctors office this morning to ask what his TSH level was when they checked it. They just took his levels about 1 week ago. TSH is 0.32
He also told his doctors office that his symptoms are no better; they are referring him to a urologist. Is this appropriate?
Is there another specialist that you would recommend?
Thank you so much again for your help...you have no idea how worried I have been!
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Have you been seen by an Endocrinologist?

Detailed Answer:

I would have loved to see him referred to an Endocrinologist if that is not your stable doctor. Though his urinary symptoms would need the input of a urologist, I will rather suggest that we start with an Endocrinologist first.

Am not really comfortable with hypothyroidism being ruled out and will like to see this further evaluated. I am even of the opinion of increasing his levothyroxine to higher levels.

I wish you well and keep me updated!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Ivo Ditah

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :2002

Answered : 3922 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Tsh level

doctor1 MD

i have been gone through the medical healthch check-up.I need your input over the attached reports. Please answer the following of my concerns : 1....

doctor1 MD


doctor1 MD

My Wife has gone through the medical health check-up.I need your input over the attached reports.

doctor1 MD

Hi. Can you tell me if there is any connection between hypothyroidism and polymenorrhea? I had half of my thyroid removed 8 years ago and I am now...

doctor1 MD

I have 2 thryroid nodules, thyroid antibodies very low vitamin d levels but TSH tests come back normal. Doctors say I do not need treatment for...

doctor1 MD

My 12 year old daughter is 137.50cm or 54 1/2 inches in height. She was referred to an endocrinologist for evaluation. Diagnosed with hashimotos....

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am a 31 year old female and am a little worried about thyroid levels in body.
My report shows TSH level of 3.57
T3 serum 3.27 and T4 1.12

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

183 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Ivo Ditah
  • Q - What causes enlarged heart?

  • Q - What causes spotting after having sex?

  • Q - Suggest side effects of Premarin

  • Q - Suggest treatment for recurrent urinary tract infection

  • Q - Can Wimpat,Keppra and Lamictal be taken when BP is high?

  • Q - When can orgasm be experienced after a total hystorectomy?

  • Q - Is tremination of pregnancy at after 26 weeks advisable?

  • Q - What causes swelling at the injection site?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for Angioma

  • Q - What causes chronic Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura?