Suggest treatment for terrible sore throat in an elderly person

Question
Good evening. I’m 69 I very good general health I have a nasty sore throat and very tender glands, Tired all day and a little aches. No congestion. Have upcoming Christmas dinner and festivities tomorrow. Should I stay away.

Fri, 25 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
should be okay since no secretions at present

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The symptoms are likely due to a cold which is caused by viral infection. If the aches and pain get a lot worse with lethargy and prolonged fever, weakness then the flu would be considered

The cold is spread by contact with the particles from sneezing, coughing, nasal secretions.
Since you have no nasal congestion and you are not sneezing/coughing secretions at the moment you should be ok to go

There are over the counter cough suppressants or decongestants or antihistamines which may help if symptoms to start. eg claritine d, allegra d, benadryl d - all contain antihistamine decongestant combination

if a cough starts then dextromethorphan is a cough suppressant. All of these are over the counter
Copious hand washing will prevent spread of infection.

You can continue the ibuprofen for the aches and pain

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions