Suggest treatment for terrible itching in genital area

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have terrible itching in my genital area.I do wear pads because when I laugh or cough I will leak. I am 69 and have never had problems like this . Can the pads be causing this .. I try not to scratch this bot it really itching and because of this I think I have broken the shin in that area and there will be a very little blood very little.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to pads, wear cotton pads, take antihistaminic

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at Healthcaremagic
It is possible that continuous use of pads can lead to irritation and itching in the pubic area.
In such cases I recommend my patients to wear cotton pads if necessary and apply mild steroid cream like cortisone cream on the affected areas twice daily for 7-10 days.
For itching I recommend them to take tablet chlorpheniramine 4 mg once or twice daily depending on the intensity of itching.
I hope to have answered your query and would be happy to clarify any further doubts.
Dr Asmeet

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar