• question-icon

Suggest treatment for tennis elbow

Posted on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi, I have tennis elbow for about 7 months. After a session of working out I began to feel tightness and pain in my elbow and forearm. Stretching and pt has not helped it has made my condition worse. I got 2 prp injections no relief. I went for a nerve test and emg both which came back clean an mri showed no damage to my elbow. The dr does not want to knowledge that it may be something aside from tennis elbow, also he is completely against tennis elbow surgery. Would a scope of my elbow be appropriate in this situation?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Oral muscle relaxants will help.

Detailed Answer:
Tennis elbow can be present even if all the tests are normal. it is best to start with physiotherapy only after an acute pain subsides. in addition to oral anti inflammatory pain killers oral muscle relaxants and a hot compress will help in bringing relief. Since MRI scan is normal surgery will not help.
It will take some time to heal but gradually the symptoms will become better. You can use an elastic brace till then for an extra support to the area and avoid all painful activities.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 27 minutes later
thank you for a great response. I also have ganglion cyst on my wrist it makes doing the pt exercises and stretches very painful. Can a ganglion cyst get worse or can I work through the pain?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Avoid stress on the cyst.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Ganglion cyst can worsen with excessive stress. it can get inflamed also. it needs a rest to heal or you can get it surgically removed or get local steroid injection at the site to help it reduce.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon