Suggest treatment for tenesmus

Dr. T Shobha Deepak

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have had symptoms in my colon like an urgency to use the bathroom, but it feels like all the intestine is going to come out, and the feeling in all that area is very bad. What is this? I have had twice on different days, but it always while I am asleep.
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be Tenesmus

Detailed Answer:
Hi
welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Dear Ms

Going by description of your symptoms its likely to be tenesmus . It denotes symptoms where there is urgency in passing stools , very little stools are passed and is associated with pain and discomfort.

The symptoms are likely to be due

1. Low fibre diet
2. Decreased intake of water
3. Presence of lesion of anus and rectum

Before embarking on blind empirical treatment its advisable to undergo thorough evaluation by General Surgeon/Gastroenterlogist

In the meantime I would suggest you the following

1. Plenty of oral fluids: 2-3 liter of water a day
2. High fibre diet: 2 servings of vegetable salad and fruits everyday
3. Oral Laxatives

In case you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Wishing you happy and healthy life

TaKe Care

Best regards
Dr Shobha Deepak

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad