• question-icon

Suggest treatment for tendonitis on the wrist

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have tendonitis on my wrist. I already had 2 cortisone shots in Oct. 2016 and April 2017 and do not want to get anymore shots. I am allergic to all NSAIDS. I can only take tylenol and no relief! I have been icing, sometimes heat, taking tumeric and other herbal supplements to help with inflammation but nothing seems to work. I'm in constant pain!!! A friend mentioned bee venom therapy. Would you recommend this for my condition?
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Avoid bee venom therapy

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

This seems to be a condition of resistant tendinosis which is not responding to the standard line of treatment. As i can see,you have tried almost everything for its treatment.

In such cases,the outer covering of the tendon (tendon sheath) is thickened and needs to to be treated surgically.Surgical removal of the thickened inflammed sheath will provide permanent and complete relief from the symptoms.

Treatments like bee venom therapy are dangerous due to possible side effects like allergic reaction,anaphylactic shock etc and should be avoided.Even if you do not get any side effects from this therapy,the relief will be temporary and the pain will recur back after some days.

So,i would recommend surgical treatment in your case for permanent relief.

Please consult an orthopedist for the same.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Best wishes

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon