Suggest treatment for tendon tears in rotator cuff?

Dr. Mukesh Chugh

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have two tendon tears in my rotator cuff and plan to have surgery but have a handicap daughter that I need to have an aide who will be able to lift her. I am not in pain at this time but last week while giving her a bath I pulled my bicep and was not able to move the arm without severe pain. After a couple of hours the pain lessened and I now do not have any pain, but I have developed a very large bruise on my bicep area that continued to get larger and is now starting to heal (left arm). My daughters nurse saw it yesterday and was concerned about the size. I had talked to my doctors assistant earlier, and was told that the bruising wasn't unusual.

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Muscle rupture looks to be the cause

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your case and understand your concern.Based on your symptoms and mode of injury it looks to be muscle rupture (Bicep). My suggestion for you are as follows-
1.Rest,Ice fomentation .
2.Regarding medicine you may have over the counter available pain killer like Ibuprofen and Trypsin/chymotrypsin (prescription only) to reduce swelling.
In your reply please tell me is there any difference in the shoulder movement after this icidence ?
Hope this helps.
Follow up: Dr. Mukesh Chugh 10 minutes later
I took PT for 6 weeks prior to bruising and was doing stretches, which helped, but I still had soreness in the bicep. After the injury i have been able to raise the arm without any pain. I find my bicep to be tight when I extend my arm,without flexing it. The bruise covers the whole bicep area (4" x (5").

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Thrombophob ointment help in dissolution of bruise

Detailed Answer:
Hello
It’s good to see you
I am happy for you as you are able to lift your arm. Please tell me are you taking any ant clotting drug like aspirin?
The tightness in bicep is because of internal bleeding in muscle leading to fibrosis, this may dissolve with time. You may apply thrombophob ointment at bruise site for early dissolution of bruise.
Wishing you early recovery.