Suggest treatment for temporomandibular disorder

Posted on Wed, 3 May 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi
Im currently seeing an oateo for TMJ
Ive had it for 4 months and im over it. I am using a mouth splint every night, i get a massage once a week and i just want it gone- its debilitating, is there something wlse i can do ? I am taking nurofen every day as its the only thing that works. Please help
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Other diagnostic tests and treatments are necessary.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Mouth splitting, NSAID drugs use and physical therapy are treatment modalities used in first stages of TMJ disorders.

If these treatments failed to improve your condition, other possible treatment ways should be sought.

Before to decide which one is the best treatment for your condition, a correct diagnosis is necessary.

CT scan to assess bony structures of TMJ and MRI to evaluate the disc and ligaments are necessary.

Ither treatment possibilities include arthrocentesis, injections into TMJ, TMJ arthroscopy, surgical condylotomy etc.

So, in my opinion, you should discuss with your Doctor about other possible diagnostic and treatment ways.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Kind regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical