• question-icon

Suggest treatment for tachycardia

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Bp 186/110 pulse 120. No bp meds prescribed. I have klonipin and Ativan for anxiety. Took 1mg ativan and 0.5 klonipin. Hour later bp 148/96. Pulse 128. What should i do about the tachycardia?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend you to relax and take a deep breath!

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I understand your concern and would explain that your symptoms seem to be related to anxiety.

The fact that your blood pressure was lowered by ativan and klonopin indicates emotional stress as the cause of high blood pressure and heart rate.

Your actual heart rate and blood pressure values are not concerning now. So relax! There is nothing to worry about!

They are just related to overreaction of the sympathetic nervous system and a load of chatecholamines (adrenaline and noradrenaline) in your blood due to a stressful situation.

You should just stay calm, close your eyes and try to breathe deeply. You should be patient and try not to think about it! These drugs (especially clonopin) have a long acting time and in the next hours everything will come back to normality.

If these episodes keep repeating, and your blood pressure values are constantly above 140/85mmHg, you should discuss with your doctor on the possibility of starting anti-hypertensive therapy. A beta-blocker (propranolol, metoprolol) would be helpful in this clinical situation because they action is on the heart rate and also blood pressure by lowering them both.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist