Suggest treatment for tachycardia

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My wife is 47 y.o. and otherwise healthy. Since a teen she has had tachycardia assocaited with upper torso
movements. This has increased with age esp. the past two years. One episode her heart raced all night (8hrs). Ekg and stress test results all excellent. ER cardiologist said her heart was excellent - suspected she might have some extra "wiring". Follow-up cardiologist suspected sleep apnea, advised to take more salt. Had a visit with an endocrinologist - thyroid levels ok, cortisol somewhat elevated - suggested seeing an electrophysiologist. Did a monitor for 2wks had 16 episodes - results inconclusive. She is having about 6 episodes per day, duration 1.5-2.0 hrs. Triggers are rapid upper torso movements esp. twisting in a downward motion, like getting into bed. Coughing also elicites an episode. Last night she coughed, XXXXXXX reached 215/min. within minutes. She has been doing the " valsalva" to alieviate it, which is only somewhat effective. What tests do you recommend for an accurate diagnosis? This is becomming quite debilitating for her. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you! XXXXXXX DDS.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please can you upload all the test results...

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

I am sorry for the health situation your wife is in.

Before running in to the conclusions i need to have the results of all examinations that your wife has done. It's necessary for me to check them by myself. Please can you upload them for me especially reports of heart monitoring.

Meanwhile i recommend to avoid activities that trigger tachycardia and arrhythmia ( twisting in a downward motion) and you can raise the dose of tenormin to 50 mg per day to better control tachycardia.

I'm looking forward to have the requested examinations.
Dr. Benard

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad