Suggest treatment for tachycardia and hypertension

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 9 Dec 2016 in Sexual Health
Question: I have been on Atenolol (25 mg per day for almost a year), for tachycardia and hypertension. You advised me to take it. It was working fine for most of the year.

However, I (lately) noticed that 25 mg is not enough as my tacchcardia can sometimes be obvious (HR from 80 to 100), and BP reaches 150/90.

As far as ED is concerned, I noticed that most of the time, Atenolol improved blood flow to the penis and there was no signs of ED.

However, I lately (also) became impotent (only about 3 to 4 weeks ago and all of a sudden). Penis is not hard enough to do penetration at all. My sex drive is almost gone also. No matter what my wife does to excite me, it does not work. I also lost morning erection (is it because beta blockers lower blood levels of testosterone?).

Although my sex life is in jeopardy, I did not try to take any ED drugs because of their possible side effects that might include blindness.

I want now to switch to an alternative antihypertensive drug that has lower risk of causing ED or to use a safe ED drug with a suitable antihypertensive drug.
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
calcium channel blocker or angiotensin receptor blocker for blood pressure

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

Thanks for writing to us. I can understand your concern.

Beta blocker is common cause of erectile dysfunction in patients with hypertension. However uncontrolled hypertension is one of the major factors.

Generally drugs from calcium channel blocker or angiotensin receptor blocker groups are recommended in such cases. Please ask your treating doctor for changing the drug.

Blindness is uncommon side effect of 5 PDE inhibitor group. I recommend tadalafil in most of the patients with hypertension when ED is there. It is much safe.

I suggest going for serum testosterone level also.

I also recommend taking one medicine cum vitamin supplement containing pyridoxal-5-phosphate, mecobalamin and l-methylfolate (trade name tetrafol plus or metanex)is very helpful in my patients. It has shown improvement in 50-60% patients of mine with blood pressure and diabetes. You should take it after meal twice a day. If you feel some improvement in 20 days you should continue for at least 2 months. You may get this medicine over the counter as it is vitamin product.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.
Dr.Chintan Solanki.