Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for syringomyelia

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 6185 Questions
I have a syrinx in my spine and my symptoms are getting worse. I will be getting another MRI soon to check status and am wondering if I need surgery is it important to have a neurosurgeon who has performed many of these procedures specific to my situation?
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: I strongly recommend you consider surgery Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this syringomyelia and all the neurological symptoms it has caused you. Because of a progressive worsening of symptoms, i think considering surgery would be a great idea. Neurosurgeons are all trained to be able to carry out this procedure. I would feel comfortable with you getting managed by a certified neurosurgeon. However, nothing beats experience if you should have the luxury to choose between one who has done many before and one who has not. It is a relatively not as invasive and complicated a some other surgeries involving the brain and spine. I do not think it is going to make a huge difference as to who does the surgery if he/she is a certified neurosurgeon. I hope this addresses your query fully. Thank you so much for patronizing our services and please do feel free to ask for follow up clarifications and information if need be. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor