Suggest treatment for syphilis
If your TPHA is negative, you can go ahead with fertility treatment
Welcome to HCM,
The VDRL is a very commonly used test for syphillis, but it is not very specific for syphillis and even if the disease is cured it could stay positive for years after that. That is why you need not worry about the VDRL being positive as it will take a long time to become negative. But it doesn't mean that you still have syphillis.
You should repeat your TPHA it is a more accurate test for syphillis and if it is negative that means that the ceftriaxone given to you has worked and you are cured of the syphillis. This will make you non infective and you could think about conceiving, either naturally or with IUI.
If your TPHA is still positive it means that you have not been cured of syphillis, in which case you should contact a good physician with experience in infectious diseases and take medications such as Doxycycllin or Erythromycin under his/her guidance and after an extended course of 21 days do a repeat TPHA test. It will sure be negative.
Hope this helps.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Syphilis exposure treatment
- Syphilis treatment penicillin allergy
- Treatment and cure for late syphilis
- Treatment of syphilis with penicillin
- Treatment and cure for syphilis blisters
- Syphilis testing after treatment
- Treatment and cure for maternal syphilis
- Treatment for syphilis infection
- Treatment and cure for fetal syphilis
- Treatment for syphilis in men