Suggest treatment for symptoms of xanthelasma palpebrarum

Dr. Ilyas Patel

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a bunch of small cholesterol pockets underneath my left eye and I have started to get them under my right one. I have had all my blood work done and all my levels are excellent. What causes these and is there anything that I can do to get rid of them. I also have bags under my eyes that make me look way older than I am. I am a farm wife so I am outside a lot and I do use face cream and wash my face a night.
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most probably xanthelasma palpebrum

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HCM...

According to history you provided,I feel that most probably you may be having xanthelasma palpebrum.

Before I give advice,I would like to see the photo of the lesion. So,kindly post the photos of affected area.

Awaiting your answer...

Dr.Ilyas Patel MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ilyas Patel 1 hour later
photos of under my eyes
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Xanthelasma palpebrum

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the photos. My presumption is absolutely right. You have xanthelasma palpebrum.

Xanthelasma are yellowish plaques that occur most commonly near the inner canthus of the eyelid, mostly on the eyelids..so the condition is called xanthelasma palpebrum.

There is no medicine for the treatment of XP.

But...There are many modalities available for the removal of xanthelasma palpebrarum... as below...

-surgical excision
-argon and carbon dioxide laser ablation
-chemical cauterization
-electrodesiccation
-cryotherapy

I prefer chemical cauterisation. Trichloroacetic acid or salicylic acid solution may be applied on the lesion for few days. The result is excellent with minimum scaring.. Scaring might be more in other methods..surgery,LASER,cryotherapy,electrocautery.

Kindly you consult you doctor and have proper treatment.

Thanks.

Dr.Ilyas Patel MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng