• question-icon

Suggest treatment for symptoms of upper respiratory tract infection

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: I believe I am starting pneumonia. It started as a sinus infection I am on day number 3 of erythromycin 500 mg BID. However, yesterday my cough started and today my chest hurts when I cough and my breathing feels a little labored. Would it be wise to start medrol dose pk. I'm still congestion, but much less. I no longer have a fever, which I had for 3/days. I am not achy, I don't feel tired. Just difficulty breathing, sneezing, and runny nose. I've had pneumonia in the past.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Don't think it's pneumonia

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr Mittal. I have read your message. I think I can help you.
The symptoms of the query are quite suggestive of a possible upper respiratory tract infection only. I do not think that you have pneumonia.
I would suggest testing with a x ray chest PA view.
The chest pain on coughing is a sign of respiratory muscles getting tired due to continous cough.
Similarly, reduction in fever means antibiotic is working.
Running nose ain't a sign of pneumonia.
So overall , I would not consider pneumonia yet.
Still since I cannot auscultate your chest for obvious reasons , I suggested the x ray as above.
If you can meeting a local physician for am examination would be prudent.
I have tried to make it as simple as possible. I hope that the information contained in this message will be able to help you find the best solution for your problem. Best of luck. Dr Mittal.
Follow up: Dr. Saumya Mittal 1 hour later
Thank you!! I really appreciate your input.
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Best wishes

Detailed Answer:
Best wishes
Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist