Suggest treatment for symptoms of tachycardia

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 2 Jul 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Can feel my heart pounding in my chest. Been going on most of the day. Can feel it in my throat
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
My answer as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I understand your concern and would explain that your symptoms seem to be related to tachycardia.

Anxiety could also mimic this clinical situation.

If you have other symptoms like shortness of breath, dizziness, etc. I would recommend going to the ER for a physical exam and some tests:

- a resting ECG
- a chest x ray study
- some blood lab tests (complete blood count for anemia, blood electrolytes for electrolyte imbalance, thyroid hormone levels for thyroid dysfunction).

If you do not have any of these symptoms, you can wait to consult with your attending physician for the above mentioned tests.

An ambulatory 24-48 hours ECG monitoring would be helpful to examine your heart rhythm trends during the day and exclude possible cardiac arrhythmia.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri