• question-icon

Suggest treatment for symptoms of syphilis

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: i believe i am showing signs and symptoms of syphilis. I believe it started around 2 months ago. I went to the er almost 3 weeks ago for an ear infection. I am no longer in pain in my ear, but my hearing is not normal. should I go to a clinic and get tested and treated. Or should I go directly to hospital?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
the ear infection is not a typical presentation of syphilis

Detailed Answer:

you've mentioned your suspicion for syphilis but you haven't documented it properly. The ear infection does not sound like a likely presentation of syphilis. Syphilis typically presents with an ulcer on the skin (on the inoculation site). If left untreated it may ultimately cause problems to various organs. You do serologic test for syphilis if you'd like to be sure.

Regarding your hearing you should visit an ENT specialist for clinical examination, there is no need to go to the hospital for that. Cerumen impaction, middle ear damage due to the infection, side effect from drugs are the most likely causes.

Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis