Suggest treatment for symptoms of strep throat in a child

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Child Health
Question: My child has symptoms of strep throat...she was diagnosed at a pharmacy by a nurse on call with that but she is now vomiting and has been complaining of stomach pain all day and primarily...she is 9.

Thanks,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please give symptomatic antiemetics

Detailed Answer:
Hi...by what you quote i feel that your kid might be having a viral sore throat or a streptococcal infection. I suggest you see your pediatrician and get a rapid streptococcal antigen test done. If it is positive then she will require antibiotics. if it is negative then it might be viral illness and doesn't require antibiotics at all.

But this could as well be a viral illness where in there might be a diarrhoea also. In such cases initially it will start with vomiting and stomach pain and later on diarrhea will start.

Meanwhile for the vomiting you can use syrup ondansetron 5 ml thrice a day. But this is a prescription drug and you will need a prescription for it.

If diarrhoea starts -
I suggest you use zinc supplements (Z&D drops 1ml once daily for 14 days) & ORS (Each small packet mixed in 200ml of potable water and keep giving sip by sip) as hydration is very important and crucial part of treatment.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth