• question-icon

Suggest treatment for symptoms of sinusitis

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Hey dr,

I have had this feeling of tightness around my head and especially in my sinuses. It all of a sudden started this morning around 9am when I woke up and is still present at 12am the following day. I had 2x Pandols during the day and it seemed to help a bit but not a huge amount. Is this some sort of tension headache or a sinus problem because I feel like my whole sinuses are tight around my face and when I breath in I can also feel the tighness and this different smell. What else can I take or is Pandol the best solution for this I also have pseduophrine should I try that? There also isn't a huge amountof pain it just feels uncomfortable.

Kind Regards,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sinusitis more probable.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Since there's distorted smell too, besides headaches, sinusitis is the most likely condition that is causing your symptoms.

It is necessary for a sinuses x-rays film to confirm it.

Since it is season of allergies, closure of sinuses draining ways may be caused by allergies too, and pseudoephedrine should help in improving your symptoms.

Rinsing both nostrils several times a day with normal saline solution also should help in improving symptoms.

Pain can be improved by use of Ibuprofen 400 mg/thrice a day for example, if Panadol didn't control pain sufficiently.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 10 hours later
Thanks for the reply doctor it also seems to feel kind of blocked when I breathe and I have had random runny noses but not that many though could it possibly be linked to a cold? I don't really seem to feel that sick though and if it is sinusitis how exactly is it treated do I need to go to the doctor for antibiotics or would it go away on its own with sympontatic treatment?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotics if you feel feverish.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

Sinusitis could be related to cold too, if you don't feel that bad, symptomatic treatment may be sufficient.

If you feel fever too, antibiotics are needed and for this prescription by your Doctor is necessary.

I think you should continue with symptomatic treatment for a couple of days, if symptoms persist, get evaluated medically and with sinuses x-rays.

Hope I helped you.

Greetings.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical