Suggest treatment for symptoms of seborrheic dermatitis
I suggest a possibility of seborrheic dermatitis rather than ringworm
Hello XXXXXXX Thank you for writing to us
I have gone through your query and I have understood it.
Most likely you have a condition known as seborrheic dermatitis.
Scalp seborrheic dermatitis usually presents with dull red erythema, itching and scaling on scalp.
Seborrheic dermatitis is not contagious.
A yeast, 'malassezia furfur', rather than the fungus that causes ringworm, is commonly implicated in Seborrheic dermatitis.
I suggest you to use an OTC antifungal shampoo e.g Nizoral shampoo. It contains 1% ketoconazole.
You may use it every alternate days.
Lather it well into the scalp and leave it on to act for 5-7 minutes before rinsing it off with water.
Ringworm of scalp Or tinea capitis is uncommon in adults. Tinea capitis is more common in children.
Just maintain a good hygiene; wash hands regularly.
Ringworm is contagious.
In fact the ringworm fungus is ubiquitous and is commonly present in one's surroundings.
However, not everyone would develop infection. Infection is more common in summers. Sweat, moisture, heat and humidity favor fungal growth.
Body's own immunity is also important defense against fungal infection. A weak immune system favors infection e.g patients who have diabetes Or HIV are at risk
You just need to just maintain a good hygiene. Wash you hands frequently. May use an antifungal soap for bath.
Now that she is already on antifungals so that would also kill the fungus and a good thing.
Make sure the room and surroundings are cleaned daily and thoroughly.
I don't think you should worry about catching an infection so easily from her just by being around her.
If ringworm was so contagious almost all dermatologists in this world would have got ringworm infection repeatedly from there patients.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Penile seborrheic dermatitis treatment
- Seborrheic dermatitis on face treatment
- Seborrheic dermatitis symptoms
- Treatment for seborrheic dermatitis
- Seborrheic dermatitis on the penis symptoms
- Symptoms of tinea, seborrheic dermatitis
- Seborrheic dermatitis scalp treatment
- Seborrheic dermatitis hiv symptom
- Natural treatment for seborrheic dermatitis
- What are the symptoms of seborrheic dermatitis?
- Suggest treatment for thinning of skin
- Is boil inside nose folliculitis a cause for concern?
- What casues allergic skin rash?
- How to diagnose herepes type 2?
- What causes white pimples in vagina?
- Suggest treatment for headache, acne and weight gain
- Suggest treatment for dandruff and red spot on scalp
- What causes non itchy eruption on penis?
- Suggest treatment for itching acne on hand
- Suggest treatment for itching sensation all over body