Suggest treatment for symptoms of scleritis

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: 9 yr old daughter, viral flu over past week, some congestion/sniffling, on Tuesday night began complaining she had bad pain "behind" her left eye, kind of came and went, gave her Dimeth. HCL Allergy med to help clear congestion, few more times in past 3 days she had complained about the eye pain (toward the inside corner of her eye, nothing noticeable (no redness, no pupil red, no noticeable swelling, no eyelid issues), today though she showed me it is slightly swollen (inside corner and a little eyelid) with some light pinkish with some blueish coloring coming down along her cheekbone. She says no hit there. Not sure what to think it is....???
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most likely scleritis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking query on HealthcareMagic,
From the description your daughter most likely is having Scleritis. Scleritis is a serious inflammatory disease that affects the white outer coating of the eye, known as the sclera. Swelling around the eyes is a common symptom of allergy, infection, inflammation, or even physical irritation can be there.
I would like to see a photo or a small video of your eye.It would give a much clear idea about the nature of problem.
On diagnosis treatment can be started for scleritis.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 47 minutes later
Sorry, my explanation was misleading, my bad. It's not her eyeball. It's the skin/tissue from her inner eyelid on around past the corner of her eye (area where one says someone has "bags under their eyes" or dark area due to tiredness.). She says to me that her eye looks squinty. Now i notice it and the discolration coming into that dark area under eye (inner corner above cheekbone). Strange she's been complaining of this pain and now it looks like this. Absoutely no redness or anything wrong with eyeball area and no redness if pull lower eye down and look.
I can take a picture in the am when she gets up.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up query

Detailed Answer:
Hi as per your description most likely its allergic.
Anti histaminic should be given to the kid for 2-3 days to observe any changes. However a better suggestion can be given after seeing the picture of the inflamed area.
Tab fexofenadine120mg(Allegra) can be given to her once daily for 3 days.Its an anti allergic and is very safe.
Once I see the picture I can advice whether a anti inflammatory analgesic is required or not.
Waiting
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 6 hours later
I have uploaded a picture, definitely more swollen this am.
The severe pain she had originally, she said it was in the very corner of her eye area and then resonated across her eyelid. That started 3 days ago, has been intermittent with severity, and it just swelled last night...hmmm...strange.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up advice

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
I've seen the picture,

Most likely its a hidden trauma or allergy or bite by an insect.

Anti inflammatory medicines like Diclofenac in combination of Seratiopeptidase should be given for few days along with antihistaminic like Fexofenadine.
Low doses of potent steroids like Methyl Prednisolone can also be given as they are very potent anti inflammatory drugs (all are prescription drugs, so please obtain it from your local physician).

A swab from eye should be taken for routine and microscopy to see if bacterial infection is involved or not.

Please discuss these options with your ophthalmologist.

Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 15 minutes later
THANK YOU Very Much!!
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
Get well soon!

Detailed Answer:
You're welcome dear

Get well soon!