• question-icon

Suggest treatment for symptoms of rapid eye movement sleep behavior disorder

Posted on Wed, 26 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: I have had dreams that cause me to act. Sometimes a yell or punch, most recently I got out of bed and fell into the dresser. This has caused paconsiderable bruising and discomfort. My Dr. has no suggestions. She asked if I was under stress (yes, who isn't) sleep study (doesn't happen very often)neurologist (have had a brain mri recently, due to neck issues, all normal)
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
REM sleep behavior disorder

Detailed Answer:
It sounds like you have Rapid eye movement (REM) sleep behavior disorder.
It is a sleep disorder in which you physically act out vivid, often unpleasant dreams with vocal sounds and sudden, often violent arm and leg movements during REM sleep — sometimes called dream-enacting behavior.
It would be good for you to see a neurologist or pulmonologist that specializes in sleep disorders.
There are some medications to treat this disorder and some steps you can take to protect yourself.
See this Mayo Clinic website for more information.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/rem-sleep-behavior-disorder/home/ovc-0000
Best Regards,
Dr. Robinson
Dr. Kathy Robinson