Suggest treatment for symptoms of peripheral vascular disease

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 21 Sep 2016 in Veins and Arteries
Question: I'm concerned about myself because I'm a 44 year old wife and mom and my feet are constantly bluish black and numb. I'm relatively healthy, 5'4" 130 lbs.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
may be due to peripheral vascular disease

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is understandable to be concerned about any distortion.

The appearance and numbness may indicate that there is poor circulation to the legs , this is called peripheral vascular disease
This is more common in persons with a history of : (1) high blood pressure or
(2) diabetes
(3) high cholesterol
(4)smoking
(5)overweight or obese
(6)inactivity\

It can also occur in some autoimmune diseases, surgery or trauma to the legs

It would be best to be seen by your doctor. He or she would assess you generally and also check the pulses in the lower limbs.
A test called the ankle brachial index may also be done as well, this checks the pressure in the blood vessels in the ankle as compared to the upper limb

Treatment , if confirmed , involves reducing risk factors (eg treating blood pressure or sugar or cholesterol, eliminating smoking, starting exercise)

Medication such as aspirin or other meds to improve circulation, may be prescribed

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions