• question-icon

Suggest treatment for symptoms of hypothyroidism

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Im 53 yrs old, menopausal. Im tired, no energy, thinning hair in the front of my scalp, hair seems dryer than normal, gaining weight, feel a little depressed and my memory is not very good here lately, simple things but still not what it should be. Had blood work done March 2017, my A1C was 6.2, Free T3 2.5, Free T4 1.24, TSH 1.62. Currently I take Estrodial 0.5, Metformen 500mg 2 times daily, Atorvostatin 25mg once a day.
Could my thyroid be the problem?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Measurement of reverse t3 levels can help rule out hypothyroidism

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic

The symptoms you are describing is highly suggestive of hypothyroidism (low thyroid hormone levels). But the blood test results indicate normal thyroid function.

However, a normal thyroid function test cannot confirm a normal thyroid function. Measurement of reverse T3 levels can help confirm the diagnosis. Reverse T3 is an inactive metabolite of T4. The increase in Reverse T3 levels is suggestive of hypothyroidism and require thyroid hormone replacement.

Also repeat Free T4, Free T3, and TSH levels once again to rule out the possibility of laboratory error.

Since you are on atorvastatin, I understand that your lipid profile is not ideal. So it is very important to diagnose and treat hypothyroidism. Normal thyroid functioning is essential for maintaining healthy cholesterol levels.

Decreased estrogen levels during menopause can also contribute to such symptoms.Please be advised to continue estradiol for the same.

I recommend that you follow up with your primary care provider to get reverse t3 level tested to rule out the possibility of undetected hypothyroidism.

Hope this answers your question
Please free to address further questions here

Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal