Suggest treatment for symptoms of hypothyroidism
probably subclinical hypothyroidism
it's probably a case of subclinical hypothyroidism, which means that you have a laboratory "diagnosis" without significant symptoms. Other symptoms of hypothyroidism may include fatigue, dry hair, weight gain, reduced appetite, hair loss, sensitivity to cold, reduced heart rate, slower thinking, symptoms of depression, leg swelling, etc.
I suppose you didn't have anything but the weight problem, which could also be irrelevant. Although 5.9 is not normal, it's not very high either and the endocrinologist would only suggest treatment if there are symptoms of hypothyroidism. Your weight problem requires further discussion to determine its cause and the doctor would have to search for other symptoms or signs like the ones I've mentioned above. Otherwise this is called subclinical hypothyroidism and can be left untreated. Repeat testing would be required after 6-12 months or if symptoms occur.
I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for primary hypothyroidism
- Hypothyroidism symptoms indigestion
- Symptoms of Hypothyroidism
- Hypothyroid acidity nausea headaches taking thyronorm treatment for symptoms
- Suggest medication to control symptoms of hypothyroidism
- What treatment is suggested for hypothyroidism
- Hypothyroid symptom cough fever
- Symptoms of hypothyroidism weight gain tests normal suggestions
- Suggest treatment for weight gain due to hypothyroidism
- Hypothyroid symptoms skin rash